Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nesting and Knitting

I know it's probably kind of early, but I'm already feeling some nesting tendencies. We're getting ready for our first in vitro embryo transfer next week, but we've been working with a fertility doctor off and on for over two years and intensely since last October. I'm making a list today of projects I want to get done around the house before a baby (or babies) arrive. I've also crocheted a baby blanket using my Grandma Pearson's pattern (it's almost done -- I just need to finish the edge).

In looking for some yarn to use for that blanket, I discovered a wonderful little haven called the "Stitch Cafe" not far from my home. When I went in to get another skein of green yarn for my crocheted blanket, they were having a sale and I purchased some yellow yarn so I could learn to knit again (I've learned several times, but never finished anything beyond a short sample of knit and purl). Finally, last week (knowing I have three days of bed rest approaching) I went in for some knitting instruction and the store's owner, Marci, created a pattern for my beautiful yellow baby blanket (I have now created the below sample of the pattern -- there will be a blanket, not just a sampler). There is actually a large group of women that spend quite a bit of time at the cafe. I went in Thursday (the day they're open until 9 pm) and then again Saturday, and I found the same group sitting and knitting and visiting about their lives, their families, and their politics. They helped me fix my new knitter blunders and oohed and aahed over my crocheted blanket. They asked if I was knitting for my own or a friend's baby. I told them that I am in the midst of in vitro treatment and they said that they would throw a shower for me and everyone would knit me something. Great ladies. Fun projects. I'll be going back again on Thursdays.

8 comments:

Carissa said...

Way to go finishing that green blanket, I loved that yard it was so soft and beautiful. Perfect for a baby! That new yellow pattern looks like it will turn out well too. I am also loving the new pictures in your slideshow...I'm going back now to view all of them, and hopefully there aren't any more hideous ones of me. :) HA HA. I love you anyway, even if you take my picture.

Carissa said...

Ok, I looked through all the pictures...thankfully they weren't too bad. :) I especially enjoyed the series of pictures of you and Rick at the table. Too cute!

char said...

I got some great photos, eh? I love my slideshow...especially all the glamorous pictures of my sisters. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome blankets, I really need to start picking up on some crafty hobbies. You are an inspiration

char said...

I'm glad you like them, Mary! I am so hooked (no pun intended) and very excited about learning the knitting. I'm actually already designing new elements into this pattern I was given for the yellow blanket. The last few days I've been thinking "it would be so cool if I added this or that to the pattern". We'll see...I'll keep you posted.

Jen said...

That is such a great story! That sounds so small town...very refreshing for this city you know? I'm so glad I found your blog(s). Happy dance!

Jen said...

Oh yea I forgot to say how much I miss knitting my scarfs. I should really try to do that again when the little one is sleeping. There are so many other things I busy myself with that are nowhere near as relaxing or fulfilling (TV mostly) so you will be my inspiration!

char said...

Jen - You should definitely start knitting again! I enjoy the scarf you made for me on a regular basis. I love it!